Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quick Vegan Chili from Grocery Store Items

I bought everything I used in this Vegan Chile at the Natural Foods/Organic section of Martin's Supermarket (in some areas it's called Giant) and at the Shepherdstown Farmer's Market. Here are the basic ingredients:

I also pulled some things from my spice supply: Chile powder,Cumin, Sechuan oil, crushed red pepper flakes, and my ordinary hot sauce.

OK, I began by chopping up the green onions, then the clery and mushrooms.

In my large pan I used about a half cup of olive oil to heat these vegetables up and get them soft:



To the vegetables I add 2 cups of Smart Ground  Mexican style meat substitute and cook it with the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
Then I added 1 jar of Organic Vegetable Tomato Sauce (which has carrots, garlic, tomatoes and a bunch of spices in it) plus 1/2 jar of water.I stir that up with the vegetables, then add 2 tablespoon chile powder, 2 tablespoons cumin, about 10 drops of Sechuan oil, some pepper flakes, and a couple of shakes of hot sauce... then I mix it all together. Meanwhile I have the stove on high until the tomato sauce bubbles, then I turn it to low.


Now I add two cans of kidney beans, rinsed, and stir them in:
Cover the saucepan and let cook on low for about half an hour, stirring occasionally and taste to see if it is spicy enough for you (I like mine hot.)


While that's cooking I make some brown rice, which takes about 40 minutes...
Finally I serve the chile over the brown rice and have a great lunch. I've made enough to serve six people here...or to have lots of leftovers for tomorrow.
Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment